According to news reports , the Adire community in Kenta , Ogun state is calling for state government help, and these are the reasons why:
- The cottage industry has largely been abandoned.
- A revitalization of the cottage industry and establishment of cloth factory would reduce the cost of production and make it easier to do business.
- And would provide more jobs to the people of the state.
- Their stalls and shops had been demolished for the expansion of the road in the area.
- They face customs problems whenever they go to buy materials, especially cloth
- And also struggle to access water and raw materials
Adire, our native Yoruba indigo hand dyeing art, is regaining popularity but as with all other indigenous traditional industries, it needs a boost in the form of government infrastructure and initiatives, and in the form of patronage.
Michelle Obama in Maki Oh Adire
Ade Bakare Adire Couture